Friday, September 5, 2008

Let's Go!, Lonely Planet & National Geographic

Okay, so, I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm not a boomer. In fact, I turn 40 on November 21st, right before our first Festival. However, the truth is, I've been following in the footsteps of boomers my whole life and even wearing their hand-me-downs (I'm the youngest of 5 kids with a 10 year age span). 

One of my greatest passions is traveling. At 18 I set off for Europe, at 21 I left Europe for my first trip around the world. Without boomer developed publications, I never would have been able to do it. My first guide book was Let's Go! Europe and as I set off for Nepal, Indonesia and Zimbabwe, I started buying up Lonely Planet guides (I probably should have bought shares in the company!). But, ever since I was born I have been surrounded by a large and growing collection of those fabulous yellow magazines of far-flung places: National Geographic. 

That is why I was SO thrilled to discover Don Mankin, a world adventurer and National Geographic published author was going to speak in our travel conference! I mean, really... This is the guy who wrote: "Riding the Hulahula to the Arctic Ocean".  His topic is: The Transformative Power of Adventure Travel.

I know I'm supposed to be working that weekend, but, well, I think you'll know where to find me when Don is speaking!

You can see more about his session here: 

And more about his book here:

No comments: