Friday, September 12, 2008

Yoga, Pilates & Tai Chi - the Fitness Sessions

Okay, so I just got back from a run. Well, it wasn't running... it was jogging. Avid joggers would probably call it more of a slow-motion trot. Regardless, it's new to me. I have to admit, running has never really been my thing because it seems so strenuous and well, you sweat. Why have I taken it up? Well, when I have a lot of work on my plate and I've been sitting at my computer for a long period of time it helps to clear my head (I can only focus on the effort) and get outdoors to see my neighbors gardens. I don't actually stop to smell the flowers, just smile at them as I jog by.  

One thing I've always done for my health is yoga and, in the last few years, I added pilates. I have found these to be excellent ways to keep limber, physically toned and mentally centered. I started yoga when I was 20. I fractured my back when I was 17 and the ONLY thing that relieved the chronic pain was yoga. Adding pilates helped to strengthen my core muscles, which support my back even more, especially since I tend to spend copious hours hunched over a keyboard.

If you've never tried yoga, pilates or tai chi... you're in for a treat. We're bringing them to the festival. If you have tried them, you'll be happy to know you can nip out of a conference session and over to a yoga class. Like the music and conference, the fitness classes are included in the price of admission.

No comments: